Pages

Friday, May 8, 2009

Sprung!

We are out of the hospital! It never felt so good to cut off a wrist band. We will miss the wonderful hospitality of the staff but it sure is nice to be on the road again even if only for a day. We plan to fly home tomorrow.

We had breakfast and headed to Houston to store the bike and trailer in the Rios's garage and we board an AirTran flight Saturday to Miami. Hertz, it turns out, is the cheapest one-way rental from Miami to Naples so by Sunday 1AM we should be home. We bought a round-trip ticket and plan to return to Houston on june 24th to resume the abbreviated ride.
Dr. Scamardo in Texas agreed with the recommendations made by Dr. Scafuri in Naples for Theresa's medications, so our first stop was the CVS Pharmacy to get her prescriptions filled. We spent the day window shopping at a huge outlet mall and exploring Houston. The day was uneventful. We checked into a Holiday Inn Express, jumped into the pool, and began the ordeal of weeding out and condensing our stuff into a smaller space. Theresa and I almost had a tug-o-war over a pair of capri pants and a couple of shirts. I want to pack light; she wants to look good. Maybe a nudist resort is the best solution!
They sure know how to eat around here. Tonight I had the best $10 meal I can remember. They had something like 10 meals under $10 and they all looked good but my enchalada and steak dinner was great. Theresa still has very little appetite so she enjoyed looking at my salad, sniffing her baked potato, and eating a small crust of bread. She did allow herself a couple of small bites of enchalada, or maybe she just licked it. I swear it seems she is not eating much at all. If this keeps up her cost of maintenance may drop to a vanishingly small expense, although a new smaller wardrobe may offset the restaurant savings.

With luck we will both get tuned up by our several doctors, repack, loosing about 2 cubic feet of excess stuff from the trailer, and a leaner, lighter team Hanbury will resume the ride in June.

Good news on the camera front! The Panasonic DMC-TS1 camera I've been lusting for is now in stock and I've ordered it tonight! It still amazes me that you can get 32 Gigabytes of memory in an SD card but 'tis true and so it will also be mine! I spoke to a tech rep at Panasonic to ensure that the card will work and having his go-ahead, should be able to record our saga in High Definition Video as well as 12 megapixel stills. I suspect some scenes at the Sturgis Bike rally will be "R-Rated", so those of you who are faint of heart, or prudish of mind, beware the upcoming posts from August 1st to 9th. I've come to understand that a favorite past time of the ladies there is to flash unsuspecting men who might be holding a new Panasonic Digital Camera. I hope to learn the truth of this and will strive to document such activity to serve as a warning, so others may not fall into such lurid traps. Don't thank me. A life of public service compels me to do this for the benefit of my fellow man.

2 comments:

Jack Strom said...

Harry and Theresa Naples PCBug has been avidly following your exploits.(viaYahoo Groups) Happy Theresa is doing well.You'll get to Alaska, even if slightly delayed. Am investigating your camera choice.
Jack Strom

Harry and Theresa Hanbury said...

Hi Jack, I've been studying the camera thing for months and the Panasonic is finally in stock. I can't wait to get it. I think it will be perfect for our trip. However, I see Canon is releasing a very nice 12 MP non-waterproof model with a longer zoom. Might be worth checking out for those not getting wet.