Pages

Monday, August 24, 2009

Loveless Cafe and Natchez Trace

Breakfast today was an event. We saved our appetites for the famous Loveless Cafe, just south of Nashville. This is where all the music royalty have dined since 1951 and it has become quite the attraction. To call it a gold mine would not be an overstatement. Click on the picture to see the Loomis Armored Truck picking up the money.

A very sweet Carol Fay, AKA "The Biscuit Lady" and no doubt the biggest celebrity we've met on the trip, greeted us at the door and guided us to the seats where we might have exploded, were it not for our wills of steel. The food was delicious and so plentiful each of our meals could have fed a small Vietnamese village. Carol posed with Theresa for a picture as she has done with nearly every star in the music or political business. She and the Cafe are both Tennessee landmarks. They are about to tear down the large brick Bar-B-Q pit to expand the outside kitchen. I suggested they put the old Bar-B-Q pit on e-Bay. I'll bet it would fetch big money even thought it would have to be disassembled brick by brick and rebuilt on a new location. I'll bet some mega star around Nashville would love to have it in their back yard for entertaining, or maybe just it's smell. It's probably the most famous Bar-B-Q pit in the country.

Tummies full, I programmed the GPS to guide us to our friend's home in Eufaula, Alabama, however the beauty of the Natchez-Trace Parkway let us astray. I've been led astray before but this time by a road so beautiful I was powerless to ignore it. We rode down the scenic 40 mph parkway until multiple protests from the GPS put us back on the correct path. We might have ended up at the Mississippi again. For more info about this beautiful road see: http://www.nps.gov/natr/index.htm .

Tomorrow we should be able to reach Eufaula by 3 PM or so. This might, depending on the weather, be our last stop before heading back to Naples. I love Naples, our friends, and my work, but I'll hate to see this trip end. Theresa and I have enjoyed every day and I could not have had a better traveling companion. If she wasn't my wife, I'd marry her.

I almost forgot. Yesterday we saw a vest in a shop that had a fur collar of un-described origin but I've seen so many stuffed examples now, that I'm pretty sure it was jackalope fur.

No comments: