Pages

Friday, August 14, 2009

Royal Treatment

Today we reached Chicago and we are very impressed. The parts we have seen so far are beautiful and the people are nice. We tried to visit our old next door neighbor, Shirley, only to find she was out of town with family, but found her assisted living community to be first class. Then we went to Costco where a nice lady expertly fixed my glasses, the left lens would pop out if you looked through it hard.

Then off to Trailmaster, Inc. the maker of our Aspen Classic Trailer, which suffered tent ruining hail in Sturgis. We could not have been treated better. First we were greeted by Gary, the marketing director who introduced us to Ron, "the Boss". Ron inspected our damage and helped get the insurance wheels rolling while Peggy who seems to manage much of the office arranged a hotel at a substantial discount. Everything went smoothly and we should have our like new trailer on Monday afternoon.

For those of you who are thinking about a trailer like ours I'll say this. I considered this a major purchase, topping the $5k mark so I shopped diligently. Having closely inspected every product at a half dozen rallies I was convinced that the Trailmaster was the highest quality camper I could find. It is not the cheapest but seeing the way they are built, I understand why. The shop was squeeky clean, orderly, and the workers all impressed me as craftsmen. We intended to go from Florida to Alaska and back on this trip and hoped to keep the trailer for many years after that, so the most economical choice was the high quality choice. Breakdowns on the road eat up your savings on an inferior product real fast. I now discover a part of the price I paid was for superb customer service. We did not have the least trouble in the 6 or 7 thousand miles we've gone so far, except for the hail damage. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a high quality camper for a bike or small car.


We had to eat and wanted to try some of this famous Chicago Pizza. I've had pizza around the world and so far, Thailand and Germany had the best. We all know that every region has a food product that they claim is the best in the world. New Orleans has crawfish, Maryland has crabs, Maine has lobstah, but Chicago, in my humble opinion, is the undisputed champion of pizza. We were told by three separate sources to go to Lou Malnati's for the best example of real Chicago pizza. I'm glad we did. The experience was sublime. With every bite a symnphony of flavors played out on my tongue. It was so good, I just sat and savored in disbelief that it could be so perfect. It's not reason enough to move to Chi Town, but it's close.

We have a good weather forecast for the big air show tomorrow. Must get to sleep early for the early morning trek.

1 comment:

Jim & Maureen said...

New canvas = New camper , watch out for Low flying airplanes...