Pages

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Sturgis

The Buffalo Chip,
http://www.buffalochip.com/ is the epicenter of the camping and entertainment activities for the world's largest motorcycle rally in Sturgis, South Dakota. We have arrived.
The ride here was beautiful and we stopped at Devils Tower where a knowledgeable park ranger lectured us on the geology of the tower. This is the kind of thing I love and before I could ask, he explained that there are no devils involved in the tower at all. When Teddy Roosevelt named it he was working from a flawed translation from the native American language but I guess Bear Lodge or Bear's Tee Pee didn't sound as sexy. Even after the first mistake in naming it the wrong thing, another mistake was made by the government printer by not putting an apostrophe before the s in devils. Once the president made his speech dedicating the monument, and naming it wrongly, and then the government literature was passed out to the press, without the apostrophe, the errors were sanctified and so cast in stone. Don't worry, the government has learned from those errors and is sure to get it right when they redo health care, the economic system, capitalism, and the world as we know it, but I digress. The monument is 867 feet high and is really cool to see, by whichever name.

The campground we inhabit for these 11 days is primitive in a number of ways. I would say you sometimes see ladies in loincloths but that would be exaggerating. They often wear less. It's a kind of free wheeling party where anything goes. The promoters try to amp it up by offering prizes at the bikini contest, the wet T-shirt contests, and the many other contests designed to maximize the display of female skin. It works. I'm not complaining mind you. Red male blood courses through my veins and I must admit the prospect of witnessing all the debauchery was not lost on me when reserving our tent space. Theresa has been a good sport and lets me look but not touch. Fair deal. We will bring home memories of many exhibits of extreme excess that few ever witness.

They specialize in bringing the best rock and roll talent to the amphitheater. Last night we were treated to a front row seat for the legends of rock. They are an aging band made up of key members of the Who's Who of 60's and 70's rock. They may be gray of head, but they can still wail on a guitar. The performances were fantastic.

The spectacle before us is amazing. There are four mud racing super cars crossing the field in front of me. A skydiver just flew by as did a powered ultralight airplane. The DJ, Wolfman Jack is spinning tunes, people are preparing two ramps which will allow a motorcycle daredevils to jump over something, bikes, buses, I don't know what yet. Theresa is buying our dinner right now. I suspect it will be a 20 oz. pork chop. Everything I can see is bigger, faster, sexier, than any circus you've ever seen. It's crazy. I love it.

I'll have to try harder to take some pictures that are not R-rated. I know some kids are reading the blog and I don't want to offend anyone. I have to go eat and check out the poster girl who is signing autographs at the Miss Buffalo Chip Pageant. I love beauty pageants. More blog later. ;-)

No comments: