Pages

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Thinker Toys

Not much to report today except finding a really cool concept in toy stores. Thinker toys is a specialty store in Sioux City, Iowa. The product is toys that are designed to make you think and they have something for kids of all ages. With a whole corner of the store devoted to science toys, even I might be lured here for some brain teasing fun. If I'd had access to a store like this as a kid, or as a parent when our kids were young, I'd have loved it. Alas, I was broken hearted that the store was not flush with customers. This is a concept America needs. If we, as a nation, could restore a love of math, science, and engineering to our youth, we might have a chance to keep some industry here for the next generation. I'm afraid however, that our youth has been spoiled by so much wealth, earned for them by past generations, that they can afford to become experts at playing computer games. They will, or course, eventually buy their games and computers from the Chinese or Indians with what little money they earn from their fast food employment. They will be equipped to do little else.

Parents of America, quick, before it's too late, stir an interest in math and science in your kids before they squander all their valuable learning time on TV sitcoms and computer games. Their very futures are at stake.

Down the road 80 miles or so, Theresa and I found some cheap roadside entertainment watching a crop duster. This guy flew his SEAT, (Single Engine Ariel Tanker), as beautifully as a
Blue Angel if only for a motorcycle mounted audience of two. As you can see in the attached video, he would come in a couple of feet over the power lines, then settle down on the field a few feet above the soybean plants, spraying them as he passed. Then at the end of the field he turned and expertly aligned his plane with the next row to be sprayed. I wonder if he has the assistance of a GPS to perfect his coverage.



This weekend, when we reach Chicago, we will be treated to a huge air show. Actually the largest spectator event in the country. See: http://www.explorechicago.org/etc/medialib/explore_chicago/mose/air___water_show.Par.8473.Image.-1.-1.1.gif for details. I can't wait. Thunderbirds, here we come.


Tonight may be the peak of the Perseid Meteor Shower. Unfortunately, we are stuck in a Ramada Inn, (Hotwire deal again), in Waterloo, Iowa, a town too large to have a really dark sky. I was hoping for a hotel in the boonies so I could watch after midnight for the expected 60 meteors per hour I've seen in the past. Watch it if you can. Maybe next year for us.

Lastly, my youngest brother Bill made a great deal on a new car yesterday. It's a shiny red VW Jetta Turbo Diesel. It seems that if you trade an old clunker in for a new fuel efficient car, our government will take $4,500 from other citizens using threat of armed force to subsidize your purchase. What a deal! My brother is happy. The unions are happy. I'm beginning to think that our new president is such a nice guy, he will give you the shirt off of someone else's back. I recommend you go buy a new car quick, before the other guys run out of money.

2 comments:

jacksaul said...

The Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago has a similar Thinker Toys section, where I spent much time and some money.

Anonymous said...

I have been in Thinker Toys several times with my children as well as frequenting the store before they were born. My children and I have always found the store thoroughly enjoyable due to the displays they have set up. It's wonderful to be able to "test" something with your children before you have to buy it. However, they limit themselves to high end items, thus making their selection pricier than the big box stores. I've never seen it busy, probably for that reason, but he must have enough business to stay afloat as he's been around for nearly 10 years.