Pages

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Gettin' Itchy to Roll

Afton is a great place to visit for a day. but after 4 or 5 days we are ready to move on. The bike should be ready sometime tomorrow. All the parts came in and Rusty, the mechanic is grinding away on it. I've commissioned a local metal fabricator to build an accessory tray for the front of the camper to carry a two gallon gas can and a six pack of sodas. My damaged BlackBerry Storm should be replaced around 3:30 PM. I invoked the insurance I carry on it to have a replacement sent to me. The Storm is one of the most necessary tools of the trip. With it I can talk on the phone, get directions, maps, surf the web, buy and sell stock, get the news, shop for a motel, and tether it to my notebook for Internet access. Right now, something must be shorted inside as it gets hot and runs the battery dead in 3 or 4 hours. I'll be very glad to have a new one.

Tonight we had a nice Mexican dinner and visited Dennis, of one man band fame in last Saturdays blog entry. He was running the movie theater next to the car/motorcycle dealership. I think he was alone. He sold admission tickets to 70 or so people, then dispensed popcorn, candy and sodas, then started the projector. I wanted to see the projector, techie that I am, so Theresa manned the popcorn concession for a few minutes while Dennis showed me the projection room. The theater dates back to 1928 and is much larger inside than it appears from the street. The seats have been worn out and replaced three times in the past. The films come to him on 5 reels about 12" in diameter, and he has to edit the sections together on a large flat spool table. The top table pays out the film and the bottom table collects it. The tables can hold the entire feature, so there are no pauses to change reels as in the old days. There is even a third table in the mechanism so a double feature can be played. The equipment is not new, but still fascinating.
If the bike is ready, the cell phone replaced and the new Accessory tray are all ready we will spend tomorrow night in Jackson Hole's Motel 6. We meet up with my brother Bob and friends in Yellowstone the next day. I will try to dodge the bears, deer, and bison.

No comments: