Pages

Friday, July 24, 2009

Spectacular Beauty!

The bike is fixed and we cleared the shop around 5:30PM Wednesday. I picked up Theresa at the Verizon shop where she secured a new BlackBerry Storm to replace the one I slid on when I rolled off the bike. Everything was running smoothly so we headed for Jackson.
I didn't get a picture of our Motel 6 that night but what a nice place! It is one of 11 in the chain that use a new contemporary design. It was beautiful. We ate at Bubbas, a great Bar-B-Que place. It was so good we came back for breakfast. Then we headed for The Tetons. Here is what we saw right after entering the park.

Not a bad sight. The Tetons are about the most beautiful mountains you will ever see. It was hot and July 23rd and the peaks are still snow capped. We took a few pictures, visited some places we saw in 1991, and headed for Yellowstone.
On the way we passed Jackson Lake Dam and the Snake River. This was one of the most memorable places of my life. In 1991, I had just retired from the police department and Theresa and I did a celebratory lap around the country in an RV. We were having a great time but when we got to the Tetons I had a rare, perfect moment. Theresa was sitting on the bank reading her book, I was knee deep in the water with a hand laid, Gulf of Tonkin Bamboo, Orvis Battenkill Fly Rod in my hand, literally, a piece of art built to catch fish, it was a retirement gift from recently departed friend Jim Pettit. There was a baby moose and her mother sitting on the bank, big white pelicans with 6 to 7 foot wingspans were water skiing to a landing in front of me, deer were visible on the other bank, and cutthroat trout were virtually swimming between my legs. I was 44 and retired. I was catching fish, the weather was perfect, everything was perfect. As I took inventory of how lucky I was to be in this situation a wave of emotion overwhelmed me and I felt tears of joy run down my cheeks. You can count those perfect moments on one hand. The most amazing thing was when I realized that I might do the same thin the next day in Yellowstone, and there would me other similar days in other places to come. Life was good. No, live was spectacular! I still get choked up when I think about it. I really enjoyed the flashback.
In Yellowstone we met up with my brother Bob, his wife Marcia, and friends Carol and Bill Hamilton, motorcycle riders all. After breakfast we mounted up and rode to 86 miles worth of spectacular scenery. We are camping in our tent trailer in the Mammoth Hot Springs Campground across from Bob's Motorhome. We will be here till Monday, then we make up the next chapter. I have no idea what we will do between Monday and August 1st, when we go to Sturges, but I'm sure it will involve hundreds of beautiful places and be interesting every moment.
I am about to run out of power, they make you turn off the generator at 8 PM in this campground, so I'll continue after we recharge the batteries. The last picture is the six of us checking out a hot spring. Bob is a techie like me so we had some fun with his infrared thermometer. We went to a couple of dozen hot springs and took measurements of the surface temperatures. this is what we geeks do for fun.
















1 comment:

jacksaul said...

Great views Harry. A trip of a lifetime!! I follow your blog entries avidly!1